Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Big Blue Binky and Sleepless Nights.




Since Noah left the NICU at 5 weeks old he's had a binky. He used to have a little orange one that was too small for his face, so I bought him this big blue binky that you see in the pictures. I have grown to hate the binky. I know hate is a strong word but this binky is responsible for keeping me up at night. At least 5 or 6 times during the night Noah wakes up and cries for his binky. He won't go back to sleep until I find it and put it back in his mouth. This has been an ongoing saga for quite some time now. If he doesn't have his binky when he lays down for bed he will not fall asleep. How am I ever going to be free from "the big blue binky?" This is a question I ask myself when I get up in the morning and stumble to my coffee.

5 comments:

Toots said...

Noodes...Can Auntie Angie have your binky??? Remember you gave it to me for the first time on the train to NYC! That's when I knew you truly loved me. I miss you so!

Jacqui said...

Our Matt also loved his pacifier. We also got to a stage where we could no longer cope with him waking up frequently to have us return it to his mouth. We had 2 options - one was to put loads of pacifiers in his bed and train him to find it and pop it in his mouth so as not to disturb us, or to sleep train him to fall asleep with out it. At that stage Matt was 7 months and would not have been able to learn to find it for himself, so we bit the bullet and did the sleep training (a mild version). Two nights of misery for him and us and then he found that sleep was fine without a pacifier.

Nana said...

Krisit, I agree with Jacqui's comments. It is best to break the association with the pacifier and sleep right away. Just be careful that Noah does not start using you as the new object or substituion to fall asleep. You and Noah will experience a few nights of his screaming and crying. It will be difficult but you have to use a little tough love.

Lots of Love,

Mom

Nana said...

Cricket, I forgot to add one more comment. Help Noah work through it without the pacifier (I already know you will with alot love). Mr. Noah needs to learn how to fall asleep on his own. It is easy for me to say this but I have been there and done it.

Love you, Mom

Kyle & Tarah Peacock said...

uh oh I might need to be careful. I'm trying to get Sawyer to like his binky so I can have a little bit more time when I have to make his bottle ha ha :)