Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Decision Making..

I am having the hardest time deciding what to do about Noah and school. It is a nagging feeling that I am getting in the pit of my stomach. Sending my little guy who is turning 3 in October but looks like he may be 18 months old to school. How do I do this? How do I let myself feel OK about this? It might me easier if Noah was walking independantly but he's not right now. What if he isn't by the time he turns 3? Then its a even worse thought, sending my 3 year old who can't walk by himself to a foreign place. That is such a big fear for me. Noah will be evaluated at the end of August by the public school system. I am petrified about this as well. I am debating private and public preschools right now. As you can tell I just need to get these feelings out so I can deal with them soon. I know I don't want to hold Noah back based on my fears. And I know if I keep him out of school this year that is exactly what I would be doing. Noah is awesome around other children and I know he really needs the social development. I know that he will thrive once he starts school but I am still scared..

5 comments:

Christine said...

OOOOhhh so weird! I'm going through the same thing right now with Nathan! Nathan turns three on Friday and I felt pretty panicked about it, but then I decided I'm going to send him in January. To start 1/2 year is better. It will give him time to adjust and get used to a new routine. I took Nathan to Alyssa's preschool at the end of June and he was over stimulated. He was a bit scared and covered his ears and cried. I just think there was too much going on. It was at this point that I realized maybe i shouldn't rush into it. So 1/2 year to start in a small class is where it is for us. Now i just have to find the school and an aid.
Kristi- I am terrified. I'm terrified that I won't be there to protect him and that others will make fun of him and so on... Its a fear that will always be there but I know Nathan will do well. Everyone that spends time with him loves him and preschool shouldn't be any different. Noah, I'm sure has the same effect on people and his walking will come. Noah is just turning 3- you have lots of time (I have to keep telling myself that too) Maybe you should consider putting him in for 1/2 year too and see how it goes. Visit the preschools and talk to the teachers- your "gut" will tell you if it's right or not and if Noah isn't happy you can always pull him out. I'd love to discuss this over the phone with you. Email me at christine.ashbee@shaw.ca with your phone number if you want to talk and I'll call you.
I know I don't have experience in this area but maybe we can walk the road together and learn along the way. It's alway nice to have a friend on the journey.

Tena said...

Wanted you to know I have soooo been there. Send him. You WILL be ok and you will be SO glad you did. ((hugs))

Jessica mommy to Alex/ RTS said...

Well, Im not there yet, I cant beleive I will be in a year. I am pretty sure that i will be sending Alex, not sure how many days, or for how long, but I think it is best for him. How scary though, they are still in diapers, they dont talk.........

Michelle said...

I got Austin an aid when he started school right before he turned 3 since he wasn't walking either. The school system sited it as a 'safety issue'. It helped my fears a bunch!

Kelly said...

I think it will be harder on us than it will on our little boys. Since Noah is a social little guy, he will probably really enjoy it and soak in a lot. Max loves being at daycare with other kids and they have taught his so much. I hope it continues when he goes to school. Maybe to start just send him a couple days for half the time and see how he adjusts and work from there. Baby steps. Kelly F