Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Welcome To Holland Poem

I have the Welcome To Holland poem hanging on my refrigerator and everyday I take a glance at it. Today however the poem got me thinking (especially this part) "But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy. and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned. And the pain of that will never, ever, ever go away. because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss." After reading this a couple of times I thought to myself that I don't want to live the rest of my life with pain. Why can't the pain go away? Why do I have to live the rest of my life wishing I had gone to Italy? Why can't I create a new dream? Why do I have to live the rest of my life mourning a dream that never came true? I don't want to live my life like that. It's not fair. Dreaming a new dream is what helped me accept Noah's diagnosis. I had fantasies of what it would be like and those fantasies simply did not happen. But I had to move on. I had to embrace Holland with everything I had inside of me. I had to reprogram my mind to accept the less flashy life. The slower pace, the beautiful scenery that Holland had to offer. Holland has made me whole. It has made me a better person. Fast forward almost 3 years I also have made it to Italy. Italy has taken my breath away just like Holland but in a different way. Italy grabbed my heart strings and pulled me in. I am proud to say I have traveled to both countries. They both have beauty and I can feel the wind on my face no matter which country I am in. I will continue to embrace the uniqueness of Holland and the happiness of making it to Italy.

5 comments:

Terri H-E said...

Lovely, Kristi. Really valuable and healthy perspective. I love the way you put it. There is much about Welcome to Holland that just does not resonate with me and you put it in to words. I have no more pain about what "should have been." Yep, some days are trickier than others, but that pain is about what is, not what isn't.

I think we have a great vantage point, living in both countries!

Cheers to you, sistah.

Brandi said...

Beautiful insight Kristi. You brought my thoughts back into focus. Thank you.

Jessica mommy to Alex/ RTS said...

Italy is great! and how easy is it!!!! Holland is hard, but we learn so much, especially about love.
Congrats on your flight to Italy. Im so happy we both made it to Holland!

Jacqui said...

Beautifully written - very insightful reflection. One day I hope to hang out in Italy too, but for now I'm picnicking amongst the tulips in HOlland :)

Michelle said...

Wow, I love the way you put that.