Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How Should I Handle This?

I am feeling completely frustrated and I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice. The past two days Noah is refusing to walk. If I try to get him to walk some where he squats his legs and leans backwards. I'm trying not to feel anxious about this because I know Noah senses when I am. It's just I have never been happier when I saw him take his first steps. It was such a long time coming and now I'm feeling sad. Today at therapy he did the same thing. He wouldn't walk and wouldn't do any of the stuff he normally does. I am wondering if any of you have any advice? I'm feeling at a loss and not sure what to do.

6 comments:

marilynd65 said...

Kristi, do you think that when Noah fell and it frightened him? He will gain confidence again, I am sure. He probably remembers falling at the pool.

Love Mom

Cindy said...

You just go to the c:\ prompt and type "walk". ;)

Seriously, since our kids are not computers to be programmed, it's a little harder. I tried to understand the movement that he's making...maybe he's happy with his new walking skill/sensation and wants to try another body position out. I DEFINITELY wouldn't worry about him not walking. I don't think he's lost the skill, or will lose it if he doesn't walk for a few days. I definitely would encourage him when he does walk, but don't make a big deal when he doesn't.

Think of this as near the beginning of your long race with Noah...he's going to do this with other skills, and you're going to get frustrated. Or not, I hope, as you learn how to deal with it...because this is probably his personality and how he's going to act in the future. Hugs, Kristi!

Brandi said...

Oh Kristi,

I know you are anxious for Noah to walk. You know that he CAN walk. You shared those glorious moments with all of us. Even with all of our kids' delays, I don't think that we give them enough credit for being their age. I have a very difficult 3 year old right now. She does EVERYTHING the opposite of what I ask of her. It is very frustrating. I am firm and consistent and she still does it. Noah is just about three. He may be experiencing his own independence, just like my precious Bella.

He will walk again. I am sorry it came to an abrupt halt, but he will do it again!

Kelly said...

Do you think it is a confidence thing? Max was the same way when he first started walking and with a lot of things he does. It takes him a while to gain confidence. I think to just give him time and he will realize that walking is easier than crawling and faster. Take care! Kelly F

Kerri H said...

Hi Kristi..
I can still remember the beginnings of when Logan started to walk and he did that also...kind of frustrating I know. Because you know he can do it..he just is choosing not to do it now for some reason...our kids are a mystery at times..give it some time..he'll go back to walking when he's ready...:)

Christine said...

Hi Kristi,

I'm wondering if he may be doing to get your attention? Nathan sometimes just throws himself down and won't walk. If I pick him up and try to get him to stand, he pulls his legs up. I started laughing the first time this happened because I thought I found it kind of funny but also intelligent on his part- he clearly did not want to be standing.
With Nicholas needing you as well do you think noah is feeling a little jealous? Is this his way to get mama's attention?
I agree with all our other friends that noah will walk again. He's three now and his independence and character will shine through. The tantrums Nathan throws make me smile because I feel in so many ways he's just like any other 3 year old.
Give Noah big hugs for me. He'll come around again. Hugs Kristi.