Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Signing and Balance.

I wanted to update on some of Noah's recent progress. We bought the "signing times" dvd's and they have really helped out Noah a lot with some signs. I bought volume 1-3 but we have only watched the first volume once a day for the last couple of weeks. Since watching this DVD I believe the concept of "signing" is really starting to click for him. He is not signing a lot of different signs but I know he understands what it means to sign now. He signs eat, more, all done, da da , up, on, . He is trying to master milk, drink, and he signed dog once with the DVD. He also is attempting to sign baby and car when the DVD is on. A couple of nights ago Noah said da da for the third time in his life and also signed da da at the same time. This was awesome because Tom and I were both in the room when he said it and then signed. I am really excited about this for Noah and I'm hoping that he continues to be motivated by signing. On another note today I saw first hand that Noah's balance is there for standing and walking by himself. I have been using that bathrobe trick with him for a couple of weeks now. Noah loves to watch me open and close the blinds. This is motivation for him to walk to the blinds and stand there.This morning while he was waiting for me to open the blind I slowly dropped my hand all the way to the end of the bathrobe tie. There was no support for him and he didn't even know it. He was standing beautifully and with no anxiety because he thought I was still holding it. This is really giving me hope. I know now he has the balance but we just have to work on his confidence in his abilities.

6 comments:

Toots said...

Yea Noah!!! You're doing awesome! I'm so proud of you! And I bet daddy was so happy when you said dada.

Cindy said...

What exciting milestones! I know Signing Time really helped (and continue to help) Natalie with her communication, both sign and spoken.

marilynd65 said...

Good job, Noah!! I am sure Tommy was so happy hearing da da.

Love, Nana

Jacqui said...

That is really exciting. I love hearing about the mini (but very important) steps that Noah takes. And we really do celebrate with you. Yay yay.

Mary said...

Way to go Noah!! You are getting there slowly, but surely. We love you mucho.

Grandma and Grandpa

Brandi said...

Sweet! You are so creative. I'm happy to hear that you got to see his progress and know that he can do it. That confidence is coming, I just know it is.