Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

He Will Have A Voice

A couple of comments I have received from strangers lately inspired me to write this post. Yesterday Noah was in therapy and I was in the waiting room talking to another mom. She told me her son was 2 and speech delayed. I told her my son was almost 3 and also speech delayed. I proceeded to tell her we use sign and pictures at home to help Noah communicate. She said "I have not signed with my son because that will make him lazy and not want to talk.". I then said "Actually its a proven fact that signing and any alternative communication does not delay speech any further." She looked at me like I had two heads and the conversation ended. Then over the weekend we took the kids to the park for a few hours. I was pushing Noah on the swing and he signed that he wanted to "stay on". I asked him again "stay on" and he signed "on" and "more. I always verbalize when I am signing with Noah. A lady was watching us and asked if Noah was signing? I said yes and didn't say much more. She then told me that she never signed with her children because she was scared they would not talk. I was rather annoyed at her ignorance but just smiled and continued swinging Noah. For anyone that is confused or may not understand. Signing and alternative communication will not delay Noah any further. I am saying this for the people who love Noah and want the best for him. Also for the people that love Noah and may feel uncomfortable asking me. I don't know if Noah will talk or not. I can't tell anyone that. That is in God's hands and it is something I have had to come to terms with. It is one of the hardest things I have ever had to accept. What I do know is that I will give Noah every opportunity to have a voice. Whether it be through sign, pictures a communication device or talking. He will be heard. I will make sure of it.

11 comments:

Terri H-E said...

I'm in a choir robe behind you, singing Ummm Hummm! with all the soul there is in me.

Noah does have a voice. You are making sure it is heard.

Myssie said...

Great post Kristi! I totally agree!

Christine said...

I'm so with you on this Kristi! People are ignorant! I signed with Alyssa and her vocabulary is huge and she is greatly advanced for her age. I've been signing with Nathan too, it's just taking longer with him. He'll get there and he too will have a voice, no matter how he does it as long as he communicates that's all that matters.
Great post! LOVED IT!
Hugs
Christine and Nathan

Brandi said...

You are so strong Kristi! I have had similar conversations with other parents who don't sign for the same reason. I don't understand that school of thought at all.

Noah's voice is loud and clear. He does communicate. He is one smart little man!

marilynd65 said...

One thing I don't have to worry about.....you are and will always be a strong advocate for Noah!! Don't listen to people who do not educate themselves and make statements they can not back up. Love you so much, Mom

Jessica mommy to Alex/ RTS said...

Of course it will only help him. People are annoying......
Keep it up girl!

Cindy said...

And how sweet his voice is...

Kelly said...

I hear him loud and clear! Great post! His 3rd Birthday will be here soon!!! Kelly F

Toots said...

You are an awesome mom. Noah will communicate in Noah's way and his voice will be heard. You will make sure of that, I know.

Your voice as an advocate for Noah will be heard as well. That's a powerful thing and an undeniable gift you have to share with this world. I see larger things for your future even above being Noah's mom (the most precious of gifts). I see you as an advocate and a voice for children with special needs. Your journey from three years ago to now amazes me. You are an inspiration.

You put your feelings out there-- some so beautiful, other days raw; yet real. It lends credence to your journey. I'm sure it comforts and soothes those going through similar circumstances. I am so proud to call you my sister.

Michelle said...

Amen Kristi! I actually have never had anyone say that to me but Austin doesn't enjoy signing either. Andrew is the one who signs all the time. =) And yes, Andrew talks ALL THE TIME. Austin's hands are so small, it's hard for him to sign but I do sign to him anyway. I'd either have to really bite my tongue or something if anyone ever comments rudely to me about Austin signing. LOL

Kerri H said...

I agree with Terri..all of our children have voices..let's make sure they are all heard in one way or another! Love it..and go Noah!!!