Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thank You For Helping Noah Cocoa

Some people, and in Noah's case, animals, really know how to bring out the best in us. On Monday during Noah's horse therapy, I was amazed at the growth I saw in my son. The therapists and assistant's were cheering and clapping for him the whole time. Noah is a different little boy when he is on "Cocoa" his horse. Every time he rode by me standing on the sidelines, the joy on his face was unmistakable. He communicates better with Cocoa than with anyone else in his life. Noah was using two word signs to tell Cocoa what he wanted from him. This is huge in our world. His level of communication is broadening and he is confident in his surroundings. Another amazing stride forward is his ability to follow directions. His therapist would ask him "Noah please turn around on your horse and face backwards." Without hesitating Noah followed her request. And this was with everything she asked of him. Another time she said "Noah please tell your horse what you want him to do." Noah signed "go" "more." I had tears in my eyes watching Noah that day. Cocoa has helped him in so many ways. He is climbing with no anxiety and his anxiety about falling is improving as well. As we were leaving one of the assistants followed me to my truck. I turned around to look at her and her eyes were full of tears. She said to me "I feel like I'm witnessing a miracle with your son". This was one of the most heart warming things any therapist or other person helping Noah has said to me. A miracle that is what Cocoa is. We all need miracles in any kind of form. Thank you Cocoa. And thank you to the assistant who recognized all of Noah's accomplishments instead of pointing out what he wasn't doing. I needed to hear this.

8 comments:

Toots said...

You could see Noah's profound connection with Cocoa in the photos you posted before. I'm so thrilled for Noah! That's awesome! Give him a big kiss for me!

Kelly said...

Isn't it amazing what horse therapy can do! I am so proud of Noah!!

Kelly W.

Kerri H said...

Awesome job guys! That is so wonderful to hear! From both you and the therapists! You just never know what makes our kids click! Hugs!

Cindy said...

What a wonderful story...thanks so much for sharing how great he's doing and the great people (and horse!) he has in his life.

Christine said...

Kristi, that's so awesome!! I love that Noah is doing so well with his therapy! Isn't exciting to see so much progress? Thanks Cocoa for helping Noah!

Nicky said...

What a precious angel you have Kristi - Cocoa is obviously an amazing and inspiring character, much like the awesome little boy he has befriended. xxx

Jacqui said...

Beautiful - so precious. Thrilled for you.

marilynd65 said...

I am so happy to hear his therapist be so positive about Noah! Cocoa has played an important role in Noah's accomplishments. Please express my sincere thanks to Noah's therapist and give a good pat to Cocoa for me! Give Mr. Noah hugs and Kisses for me!