Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Monday, May 10, 2010

I Feel The Need To Repost This.

I posted about this a few months ago but after a recent incident, I feel the need for a repost. We all want our children to be able to communicate with us somehow right? Some of our children use words, some use sign language, some just gesture, some use communication devices. Aren't these all different forms of speech? Why do some people insist on putting their two cents in about the alternative ways to communicate? For example the popular answer I get when a stranger notices I'm signing with my son. "Won't that delay his speech even more"? Or the ever so popular "I won't teach my child to sign because then they won't talk.". I know these statements are made out of pure ignorance but I tell these people to please do their research. Sign language will not delay any child from speaking. As a matter of fact it will only enhance their vocabulary if and when they speak. Also sign language has been proven to increase a child's IQ. I am the mom of a child who is nonverbal (at the present time) and I'm going to give him every opportunity to communicate. I just wanted to put this post out there for anyone that has not done their research. If you see a parent using alternative communication with their child, know that they are opening doors for them. Why not open several different doors? We don't all have to be heard only through our voices.

5 comments:

marilynd65 said...

Well put, Kristi!! Your doing the right thing.

Terri H-E said...

Uh huh!

Angelica mom to JesusRTS said...

thank you for sharing! =)

Toots said...

Summer loves her Baby Signing Times DVDs. We sign with her everyday.

Give Noodes and Nicko big kisses for us!

Sunshine and Shadows said...

Good post. Those people don't have a clue. Children who learn sign language are also less frustrated because they can communicate their needs before they are able to talk. My daughter is teaching my little 7 month old grand daughter to sign. She can't make the signs but she watches and shows excitement when it is something she wants.

I'm sorry people have said those things to you.