Our Journey

We decided to create a blog so we could share with family and friends about "our journey". Our son Noah is 4 years old and he is the constant light in our world. He was born with a rare genetic disorder called Rubinstein Taybi Syndrome.. Life has not always been easy but Noah has taught us how to be courageous. We are so proud of his accomplishments the past four years. He is beautiful, funny, courageous and strong. We feel so blessed God has chosen us to raise Noah.. We also hope that new parents receiving an RTS diagnosis will find comfort in our words. Nicholas is the perfect addition to our family. God has once again blessed us with a amazing, beautiful little boy. We are so comforted knowing that Noah now has a little brother. Life is beautiful having these two angels in our world.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Taking A Stand


Tonight I went to the same fitness class I go to every Thursday night. As the music came on the instructor put on her head set and the music was wrong. Into her microphone she said quite loudly "damn I'm such a retard." I froze for a moment, not wanting to believe that just came from her mouth. My stomach turned, I felt sick and wondered if I should just walk out. But I decided to stay. I decided to stay for one reason only. I wanted to take a stand. I was not going to walk out and go sulk about what I heard but I was going to confront it head on. I worked out thinking about what I was going to do the whole time. When the hour was up I knew. I thought of Noah,Natalie, Austin, Alex, Addie, Sammy, Caden, Nathan(both Nathan's), Emma,Jesus, AnnaKate,William,Logan, Matt,Sawyer,Frankie, and Max. All of the beautiful children who share Noah's diagnosis. I thought of all of the amazing parent's and children the word "retard" affects. At the end of the class I went up to the instructor. A few others surrounded her. I told her "when she used the word "retard" it hurt". I told her "My son has special needs and so did another person who ran out crying when she heard you." I also said "you never know who you are offending with that word." She felt horrible and apologized a million times. I told her "I just wanted to make her aware that it's hurtful and I told her it's ok". I didn't want to attack her but if I could change one person's view of thinking then I was satisfied. I left the gym feeling awesome that I stood up for what was right. I did not run out of the gym crying like the other mom. I stayed. I waited. And I stood up for my son. It felt great. I said in a previous post that I would not back down from this and I won't. This post was not a rant but meant to be positive. To educate any person that uses this word as slang. It was time for me to speak up. Stranger or loved one, we all need to be heard.

12 comments:

drurylove said...

I am so proud of what you did tonight. I am glad you that you confronted the instructor and told her that what she said was offensive. You are right, people comment all of the time regarding things that may be hurtful to other people without even realizing or thinking about it. I am just so proud of you for staying and letting it be known that you won't stand for ignorance! I love you!!! I would like to believe that you taught her a lesson. Even if it makes one person stop and think and realize that they should think before speaking, then you have saved one person from being ignorant.

Jacqui said...

WELL DONE - I loved your approach. Its all about helping people to open their eyes rather than bash them over the heads. Thank you for standing up so powerfully and yet still being gracious.

Nicky said...

Kristi - you are AMAZING!

"The tongue of the wise makes knowledge attractive, but the mouth of fools blurts out foolishness." (Prov 15:2)

You are an absolutely shining example of what this scripture is about.

Kerri H said...

Well said Kristi! Thanks for taking a stand! I feel those same emotions when I heard that word! Hugs!

marilynd65 said...

Cricket, you did the absolute right thing! You are educating people. I promise you that I will do the same and stand up for Noah and your blog family anytime I hear that offensive word. Were you wearing the T-shirt from Spread the Word....don't say that word? I am so extremely proud to call you my daughter. Love you so much, Mom

Angelica mom to JesusRTS said...

Thank you for taking a stand! you are awsome! =)

Myssie said...

High Five Girl!!!

Brandi said...

Kristi, the same thing happened to me in the locker room gym a couple of weeks ago after Bella's swimming lesson. A young, college aged girl said "Don't be a retard" to her friend. My stomach got sick, my knees got week. I reacted the same way you did. After I calmed down, I talked to her in a gentle way. She was so remorseful and embarrassed and thanked me for taking the time to tell her. She said that it had never occurred to her that "retard" was a bad, offensive word. I have seen her several times since then and she acknowledges me with a smile...I know she got it.

We will inspire people to change Kristi, one at a time!

trassy dicosta said...

Nice effort, very informative, this will help me to complete my task.
Online florists Poland
Online florists Poland

trassy dicosta said...

I suggest this site to my friends so it could be useful & informative for them also. Great effort.
send flowers china

angie said...

Thanks for taking a stand!! You are AWESOME!! I am so very proud to be "related" to you:).

Jesica david said...

Hey great stuff, thank you for sharing this useful information and i will let know my friends as well.Flowers - Flower store in uk